Drill Instructor School
Recruit Training Regiment
The mission of the Drill Instructor School is to develop the knowledge, command presence, leadership and instructional ability of selected officers, staff non-commissioned and non-commissioned duties of a series officer and drill instructor.ISSION: The mission of the Drill Instructor School is to develop the knowledge, command presence, leadership and instructional ability of selected officers, staff non-commissioned and non-commissioned duties of a series officer and drill instructor.
HISTORY OF DRILL INSTRUCTOR SCHOOL
MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT, SAN DIEGO
Prior to the conception of the recruit depots and Drill Instructor Schools, noncommissioned officers at the various posts and stations trained newly joined Marine recruits in the "principles of military movements" and the use of the rifle. The quality of training was as varied as the number of bases and noncommissioned officers. In 1911, Major General William Biddle, 11th Commandant of the Marine such training was inadequate and established the first centralized recruit depots at Norfolk, Va.; Philadelphia; Mare Island, Calif. and Puget Sound, Wash. By 1915, East Coast recruit training was centralized at MCRD Parris Island, S.C. In 1923, MCRD San Diego assumed the duties as sole recruit depot for the West Coast.
During World War II, the Drill Instructor Schools were first established at both depots, but shortages of drill instructors needed to train the influx of new recruits forced the schedule to cover only a couple of weeks. In 1947, academic instructors were added to supplement the staff at the schools and the training syllabus was expanded to ten weeks.
During the Korean War, recruit training was once again in high gear and Drill Instructor School was reduced to 3 1/2 weeks. Exceptionally qualified privates first class were admitted to the school until 1954 when enrollment was restricted to noncommissioned officers.
Today, Drill Instructor School strives to be the premier leadership school in the Marine Corps. It encompasses over 500 hours of academics, physical training and practical applications over an 11-week course. Not only are students given a thorough review of all military skills, but they are acquainted with an intensive indoctrination in the conduct, regulations, and procedures governing recruit training. The students also undergo a comprehensive leadership package that includes time management, communication skills, and counseling. Squad instructors continuously evaluate and counsel their respective students to ensure maximum performance.
Corporal Belleau Wood
Mascot, MCRD San Diego and Western Recuiting Region
Corporal Belleau Wood, an English bulldog, was born in Castroville, Texas, in April, 2009. As the official mascot of Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, her name is derived from the Battle of Belleau Wood in 1918, where Marines received the title of “Dogs from Hell” by German soldiers because they fought with such ferocity.
Corporal Belleau is just one in a long line of mascots at MCRD San Diego, that began with James Jolly Plum Duff, an English bulldog who came to the depot in 1939 when he was two years old.
In 1950, a monument was built in memory of all MCRD mascots. It was inscribed with the names of James Jolly Plum Duff, Soochow, Duffy’s Limey Grog, Jigger, and Duffy. The monument is located on Beeson Field, off Guadalcanal, behind the Recruit Chow Hall.
Corporal Belleau completed recruit training with Company A on November 3, 2009. She has completed her initial strength test, first sessions of Marine Corps Martial Arts training, pugle sticks, and her combat swim qualification.
Corporal Belleau assumed her official duties on November 10, 2009 as a representative of the depot. Corporal Belleau’s duties include going out during the Moto Run, Family Day, graduation ceremonies, VIP tours, visits, and various area recruiting events.
She assumed the duties of the mascot from Cpl. Molly Marine who retired in November to Texas with LtCol. Darrin D. Kazlauskas, executive officer of 8th Marine Corps District, and his wife Marcia, after seven years of faithful service to country and Corps.